"Every Child is an artist. The problem is to remain an artist once he grows up." -- Picasso

Friday, May 23, 2014

THE SLAIN KING

Pen & Ink  on 11x15 Bristol
Original Creation Date: Feb 23, 2005



A few years ago I attended a nearby comic convention, a bit of an outsider but with a small portfolio of stapled handout sheets ready to be distributed. Early into the day I was offered an unpaid gig as a contributor to  an anthology book from Angry Dog Press, and later that week I took it, mostly just to prove to myself that I could do it, to earn a published credit to my name, and to see what I could learn from the experience.

The final result was "THE SLAIN KING," a 10-page story about Viking lore. I learned a good deal about myself, my technique, and my speed while knocking out ten pages of original script, pencil, inking, and digital lettering and packaging.





I won't waste the bandwidth involved to display all ten pages, but along with Page 1 I've chosen to display these three sequential pages. I'm pretty surprised to see how well the compositions and pacing hold up after all these years, if not the font-crazed lettering.



And I'll finish with this final page. I'm pretty happy with the inking in here, especially in the giant's furry tunic and the girl's cloak.