"Every Child is an artist. The problem is to remain an artist once he grows up." -- Picasso

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

HARKILON HELL

Pen & Ink on 11x15 Warm Press
Original Creation Date: May 20, 2014



I treated this piece as if it were a full blown cover commission, done on 11x15 warm press and conceived, penciled, and inked over the course of about 48 hours. I purposely wanted the entire scene to be overwhelmingly filled with the alien attackers, but tried to use tangential eye lines and other compositional elements to push the focal point continuously back to our beleaguered hero.

The hero, of course, is the amazing Jugger Grimrod.

For those not readily familiar with him, Jugger was the sociopathic anti-hero of ALIEN LEGION, Carl Potts's epic space serial comic, originally released under Marvel's Epic Comics creator-owned line.

(Original Pencils)

I LOVED Alien Legion, and still keep the completed run of both series in a relatively accessible location. And yet I haven't read a page for a good ten years. Hmmm... I think I'm gonna go do something about that right now!