"Every Child is an artist. The problem is to remain an artist once he grows up." -- Picasso

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A FANTASTIC WAY TO RELAX


Pen & Ink on Standard Stock, Digitally Colored
Original Creation Date: Apr 29 2014




Just a quick character study, really, but one that focused on implementing some new inking ideologies and techniques I've been engrossed in lately. Hatching, I've found, is like black pepper; it does wonders to some meals but can quickly ruin them if used too abundantly.

In the days to come I may attempt a more elaborate post describing exactly how I've gotten here. Quite simply, I've pretty much torn down my entire inking style and started over from scratch, focusing on restraint and a more selective approach at decision-making. I make too many marks, too many lines, and at times it seems to radiate a sense of being just short of authentic. Moving forward my inks will likely have a different feel, or at the very least fall somewhere between how they were, and well, what you see above.  I just feel this has been long overdue, and while I'm still deciding how and where this will lead, I think this drawing really showcases a sea change in my inking approach.