"Every Child is an artist. The problem is to remain an artist once he grows up." -- Picasso

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

CHOCOLATE DONUTS & GRAPE SODA


Pen & Ink on 11x15 Warm Press
Original Creation Date: June 18, 2014




G.I.Joe. The 80's. Like most men my age, there was a natural transition through the Reagan years from Star Wars to G.I.Joe to the Transformers, and then finally onto girls and junior high and all of that mess.

But man, I was a Joe kid. At this very moment, somewhere in my parents' attic sits boxes and boxes of vehicles and figures, presumably their rubber-ringed pelvis suspensions all rotted and broken. Where I differed from so many other guys from my generation was my opinion of the cartoon.  The G.I.Joe show was always second-rate to me; it was like a serviceable dilution that promised to be so much but never quite delivered.

It always fell short in comparision to the comic.

Marvel's G.I.Joe was a fantastic series. Sure, it was too much of a promotional tool to sell toys, and there were too many characters to really develop stronger personalities... but what'd I care? I was the one buying those toys, and even when I reluctantly gave them up I still followed the stories. Larry Hama. Herb Trimpe. Great stuff. For a long time, if I recall correctly, it was Marvel's best selling title. I think there was a perception back then that this was only a result of its crossover success from the brand itself... but I disagree. This was a great comic book with cool characters and compelling adventures.

I thought I'd pay homage to one of my favorites... the infamous master of disguise, Zartan. Zartan and his men were so much cooler in the comics (I think in the TV show they were just buffoonish comic relief), and they were written more as the unruly thugs and gang members they were intended to be. They caused trouble. They broke the rules. They partied.

However, it was also a comic book being read by a lot of kids. So, presumably, Jim Shooter or someone in those circles instructed Larry Hama, the legendary mind behind G.I.Joe (he's the guy that wrote all those file cards you cut out and saved in your rubber-band encased stack), that they shouldn't be having TOO MUCH fun. No drugs, and no booze.

So instead, Zartan and his boys had a thing for grape soda, and chocolate-covered donuts. Works for me.  I've depicted Zartan here returning home from a trip to his local grocer, complete with his famed bow, some healthier necessities, and some treats for the lads.

I LOVED drawing this, if only for the nostalgic value. I might get around to color at some point.